Disposal of Paint & Other Hazardous Products
Disposal: Residents & commercial generators of waste (post-consumer) paint or household paint:
What is waste (post-consumer) paint? This material includes:
1) Interior & exterior architectural (house) paints – latex, acrylic, water-based, alkyd, oil-based & enamel paint (includes textured coatings)
2) Deck coatings & floor paint
3) Primers, sealers & under coaters
5) Shellacs, lacquers, varnishes & urethanes (single component)
6) Waterproofing concrete / masonry / wood sealers (not tar or bitumen based)
7) Metal coating & rust preventatives
8) Field & lawn paint
THESE UNWANTED PRODUCTS WILL BE ACCEPTED AT THE FOLLOWING PLACES:
Sherwin-Williams Paint Store (phone 784-2939)
Located at 1168 Lisbon Street. Residents should call ahead to confirm if they will accept what the caller wishes to dispose of, as well as the quantity for disposal.
Environmental Projects, Inc. (EPI) (phone 786-7390)
Located at 664 Washington Street, Auburn. Facility open to accept waste paint Monday – Friday from 8:00 am to 3:00 pm.
SHERWIN-WILLIAMS AND EPI WILL ACCEPT THESE LISTED WASTE (POST-CONSUMER) PAINTS AT NO CHARGE!
Note: there may be restrictions on containers of paint larger than 5 gal. and/or containers which do not have a label. Residents should call prior to arrival.
WHAT TO DO WITH WASTE PAINTS, COATINGS & SOLVENTS NOT ON THE PREVIOUS LIST?
The following products are not part of Maine’s Paint Stewardship Program but must be disposed of properly in order to protect the environment and comply with State & Federal laws. Refer to Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Depot for a listing of hours and items that will be accepted at the Lewiston Solid Waste Facility.
These waste paints / coatings include:
1) Paint thinners, mineral spirits & solvents
2) Aerosol paints (can of spray paint)
3) Auto & marine paint
4) Art & craft paint
5) Caulking compounds, epoxies, glues & adhesives
6) Paint additives, colorants, tints & resins
7) Wood preservatives (which contain pesticides)
8) Roof patch & repair
9) Asphalt, tar & bitumen based products
10) 2-component coatings
11) Deck cleaners
12) Traffic & road marking paints
13) Industrial maintenance coatings
14) Original equipment manufactured paints & finishes
These listed paints, coatings, & solvents are not accepted through Maine’s Paint Stewardship Program but can be disposed of through EPI (or other licensed hazardous waste disposal firm). Residents should contact EPI, phone 786-7390, for pricing and information about their waste disposal services.