ESTABLISHED: The City of Lewiston’s Recycling Committee was established by vote of the City Council on July 16, 2019.
MEETINGS: It meets every Wednesday from 6:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. at Lewiston Public Works, 103 Adams Avenue (Link to Agendas and Minutes Below). Due to COVID-19, meetings are held remotely. If you want to participate please contact Megan Bates at 513-3003 at extension 3440.
MEMBERS: Members whose terms shall expire on June 30, 2020, are: John Farina, Julie McCabe, Sean Monteith, Joshua Nagine, Helen Price-Wharff, and Paul Robinson. Councilor Representative for the RWRC is Luke Jensen.
PURPOSE: The purpose of the Committee shall be to:
1) Gather and review existing data and studies relating to Lewiston’s current recycling program;
2) Evaluate the effectiveness of the current program;
3) Identify the barriers that negatively impact more widespread participation in the City’s recycling efforts;
4) Develop recommendations to increase the CIty’s current recycling rate in an effort to meet the State goal of 50%, including proposals to address enhanced public information and education;
5) Develop recommendations on other steps that the City might take to reduce the generation of solid waste and reduce the amount of material landfilled or incinerated; and
6) Develop estimates of the cost to implement those recommendations and proposals.
CONTACT PERSON: The Director of Public Works or designee shall be responsible for providing staff support to the Committee. Currently assigned in that role is Deputy Public Works Director Megan Bates: email@example.com - (207) 513-3000, X3440.