Household Hazardous Waste Disposal
The Environmental Depot, 424 River Road in Lewiston, will again be open from May - October on the third Saturday of each month, starting May 16, 2020.
2020 Days Open: 5/16, 6/20, 7/18, 8/15, 9/19, 10/17
8:00 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. on the third Saturday of each month
The City of Lewiston will pay for the disposal of the first two units of household hazardous waste. One unit is up to five gallons of liquid waste OR twenty pounds of dry waste. An example of a combination of liquid and dry waste would be four gallons of liquid and ten pounds of dry. One smoke detector may be substituted for one unit. The cost to Lewiston residents will be $31 per unit if they exceed the two-unit limit. Residents of non-participating municipalities will be charged $36 per unit for all units. Residents may pay be cash or check; no credit cards accepted.
Depot questions may be directed to the Androscoggin Valley Council of Governments - 783-9186. The depot is open to residents ONLY and cannot accept hazardous waste generated from businesses or other commercial firms.
EXAMPLES OF WASTE THAT WILL BE ACCEPTED AT THE DEPOT INCLUDE:
- old pool chemicals
- waste gasoline & fuels
- solvent based cleaners
- for a more complete list, visit the Environmental Depot’s web site
EXAMPLES OF WASTE THAT WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED AT THE DEPOT INCLUDE:
- waste paint
- ammunition, ordinance, explosives (contact the Maine State Police for information on disposal)
- prescription medication
- biological and/or infectious waste
- compressed gas cylinders
Due to a change in the State’s environmental regulations, we encourage residents and commercial generators of waste paint to contact the following firms for the collection & recycling of their waste paint. Note: There may be restrictions on containers of paint larger than 5 gal. and/or containers which do not have a label. Residents should call prior to arrival.
Sherwin – Williams Paint Store
1168 Lisbon St., Lewiston
Phone – 784-2939
Environmental Projects Inc.
664 Washington St., Auburn
Phone – 786-7390
What is waste (post-consumer) paint? This material includes:
1) Interior and exterior architectural (house) paints - latex, acrylic, water-based, alkyd, oil-based and enamel paint (includes textured coatings)
2) Deck coatings and floor paint
3) Primers, sealers, and under coaters
5) Shellacs, lacquers, varnishes, and urethanes (single component)
6) Waterproofing concrete / masonry / wood sealers (not tar or bitumen based)
7) Metal coating and rust preventatives
8) Field and lawn paint