Homebuyer Assistance Loan Program
The program's purpose is to provide financial assistance to home buyers.
Down payment and closing costs assistance
Program participants must have an income at or below 80% of the median family income (MFI) for the Lewiston area, with a minimum household income of $25,000, or $20,000 if the first mortgage is financed by USDA Rural Development as a subsidized interest loan. First-time home buyers are defined as those persons who have not owned a home within the last three years.
- May be used for purchase of a single family dwelling, a rental property with 2-4 dwelling units, a condominium or cooperative housing located in the City of Lewiston.
- Must reside in the property as primary residence in Lewiston.
- Must be credit worthy and able to obtain primary conventional financing.
- May either save for the down payment by establishing a savings account or may provide a lump sum payment of $1,000. Either way the minimum down payment to participate is $1,000 at closing which will generate a 5:1 match from the City HOME program.
- The applicant will also receive a $2,000 forgivable loan which will be secured by a mortgage and forgiven after the mandatory occupancy period.
- Additional funds of up to $8,000 of a 0% forgivable loan will be made available to lower the cost for principal, interest, taxes and insurance to 28% of MFI for affordability.
- Recapture provision of HOME funds if home is not occupied as principal residence based on the following:
- 5 years if total of HOME funds is less than $15,000
- 10 years if total HOME funds are between $15,000 and $40,000
View more detailed information concerning housing programs: