Winter: Snow, Parking Alternatives, & Carbon Monoxide Info
During the winter months, being prepared for inclement conditions is very important, and the Lewiston Public Works Department is committed to providing the best winter travel possible during that season.
The City of Lewiston utilizes a City-wide emergency parking ban system on a storm-by-storm basis. Vehicle owners parking on any City street when a ban is declared will receive a $30 fine and towing at their expense.
How Can I Find Out if a Winter Parking Ban Has Been Declared?
Be sure you're signed up for Alert Center at "Notify Me" to receive Emergency Alert notifications through email, text, or both (your choice). PLEASE NOTE: Once you've subscribed, you will receive an email with instructions as to how to "activate" your notification sign-up.
- Visit our website; an emergency drop-down banner will be visible on the home page if there is a ban
- Connect with the City's Facebook page - "Official City of Lewiston, Maine"
- Listen to radio and television broadcasts
- View electronic message boards within the City of Lewiston; several will have parking ban info
- City Hall's tower at 27 Pine Street, Lewiston, will be blinking when a parking ban is in effect (if after dark)
Where Can I Park When a Winter Parking Ban Has Been Declared?
Parking pre-planning is encouraged for winter storms. Parking garages and the below-noted municipal lot are free to use from 6 p.m. or after UNTIL the following morning at 6 a.m. on weekdays and are free to use on weekends from 6 p.m. on Friday until 6 a.m. on Monday.
MUNICIPAL LOT: Lot at Corner of Cedar and Lincoln Streets - Same "FREE" Time as Noted for Parking Garages
MORE DETAILS ON PARKING GARAGE USAGE/COSTS DURING BAN: Please note that if you park in a Lewiston parking garage during a winter parking ban, some of the time utilized may be free; other time may not be. For instance, if you enter the parking garage after 6 p.m. and you remove your vehicle by 6 a.m. the next morning, your stay will be free. However, should your vehicle remain there longer, you will be charged regular garage use parking fees of $1 per hour. If your car is there several days in a row, you will be charged the $1 per hour up to the daily max of $6 for the day, and the 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. aspect of your stay will continue to be free. (Exception: Weekends are free from 6 p.m. on Friday until 6 a.m. on Monday)
If My Vehicle is Towed, How Can I Find Out Where It Is?
To locate a vehicle, the owner may call 784-6421 to find out which towing company has removed the vehicle and where it has been placed.
*In addition to any fine/towing expense incurred, no vehicle will be released until all unpaid tickets are paid in full.
Carbon Monoxide & Power Outages - Be Informed
How Do I Know if a Warming Site/Shelter Has Been Set Up?
Call 2-1-1 for Assistance.
Other Parking Restrictions
- Although a winter-long overnight parking ban does not exist as in years past, there are still some streets within the City of Lewiston that do have parking restrictions in effect 24 hours a day from December 1st through March 30th.
- Occasionally, streets will be posted for snow removal. Notification is typically posted in a snowbank, and parking is prohibited in the marked area. Parking restrictions for snow removal will be posted at various times; typical times are midnight to 6 a.m. OR 6 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- The City of Lewiston also has other posted parking restrictions to include "No Parking" zones, "Loading" zones, etc.